You may be familiar with the importance of precision metal stamping in industries such as automotive, appliances, hardware, construction and fasteners, electronics. This process is efficient and allows for cost-effective production that reduces the labor costs of your company. You can also increase the production of metal components with different shapes and sizes without having to hire more workers.
Metric Tool and Stamping is the leader in precision stamping. We provide turnkey solutions, from prototyping to metal stamping. Our team can handle any project regardless of its size or complexity. You can find the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about our capabilities.
What services does MTSI offer?
MTSI offers a complete production service package, from the design phase to the prototype and finished precision metal stamping. Rapid prototyping is available for clients who want to test their products before moving to high-volume production.
MTSI offers other metal stamping services such as laser cutting, heavy and high-speed stamping with progressive dies, assembly, and integration, as well. All metal stamping programs are supported by in-house engineering and progressive tool and Die manufacturing.
We can optimize our costs by using materials that are matched to the run size, and to the geometrical requirements. Die features we implement speed up the guiding of details and make it easier to remove the press.
Does AIC help design metal stamping prototypes?
MTSI’s engineers are experts at converting stamped metal parts into real components. Our engineering and prototyping services include optimizing the part to the best fit, form and function. This service speeds up the stamping process, reduces costs, and makes it easier. Test-run the parts before stamping to make sure they perform as expected.
What are the benefits of prototyping?
- Reduces time to market by accelerating production
- It helps to identify the strengths as well as weaknesses of the design
- Eliminates design flaws which could become costly in the future
What materials can be used to manufacture stamped metal parts?
Each metal behaves differently and has unique properties during the stamping procedure. MTSI is able to manufacture metal parts of high precision and quality. Materials that we can use to manufacture stamped metal parts are:
- Beryllium copper
- Hot Rolled Steel
- Cold Rolled Steel
- Galvanized steel
- Stainless steel
- Steels coated
What is the cost of metal stampings?
Cost of custom metal stampings is determined by the tolerance required and type of material. Specialty alloys and materials cost more than readily available or common materials.
You can save money by choosing an alternative material with similar performance. Standard thickness materials are cheaper than those with non-standard thicknesses. Consider this option if you can make your parts from materials of a standard size without having to change their shape, fit or function.
The design of the part can also affect the price. Designs with angles less than 1deg require more machining. The parts need secondary service, which increases the cost. Reducing the tolerance requirements in the design can reduce the requirement for additional tooling and/or secondary processing.
What is a Progressive Die
A progressive die is a tool that has multiple stations. It can be used to punch, cut or bend metal parts. The process is multi-step and forms the final part with each stroke of the press. The progressive die-stamping process begins with a raw metal coil being fed into the machine. Each subsequent station then performs an action until the final part is completed and comes out of the tool at the other end.
Do i need a progressive die to manufacture my parts?
The rapidity and efficiency of progressive die stamping makes it ideal for both simple and complex parts. It is one of the most cost-effective processes for large quantities that require tooling.
Does MTSI make its own tooling and dies?
MTSI does manufacture its own tooling and fixtures. Our tool and die shop is state-of-the art, and we can create high precision tooling and dies to meet even the most demanding metal fabrication and stamping requirements. Our customers can also store and maintain dies at no additional cost.
How long does it take to produce custom tooling?
In general, three factors determine the lead times for manufacturing of tooling and dies. This includes:
- The punch design is complex
- The number of operations necessary to produce the component (for progressive stamping).
- How many parts are needed?
Tooling for single-stage production takes 4-6 weeks. Tooling that is progressive can take 8-10 weeks.
Why is domestic manufacturing better than offshore manufacturing?
The U.S. manufacturers will provide you with higher-quality components, timely delivery and improved two-way communication. When you partner with a U.S.-based manufacturer, you can expect faster turnaround times and more reliable, accurate deliveries.
Below are some of the advantages of domestic manufacturing over overseas manufacturing.
- High quality products: Customers can receive large quantities of products from overseas manufacturers with major flaws or defects. They may not be able to fix any quality problems, resulting in more waste. It is easier to communicate about quality expectations when your parts are produced in the same country. When problems occur, you can contact the manufacturer to have them quickly fixed.
- Lower cost: Offshore manufacturing has been considered cost-effective by many for a very long time. The rising cost of shipping products around the globe and the increasing wages of workers has erased this advantage. The domestic manufacturing industry is able offer better quality and lower costs in less time.
- Faster response: The distance you have to an offshore manufacturer will determine the shipping time of your finished product. Shipping takes longer when you are farther away. Communication problems can also be caused by time zone differences. Shipping distances and delivery times are quicker with domestic manufacturing. The biggest time difference between you and the manufacturer is only a few hours.
Does MTSI hold any certifications?
MTSI’s quality management system is ISO 9001:2015-certified. Customers can be assured that MTSI operates in accordance with the high standards set by this international body.
Contact us if you have questions about precision metal stamping.